Find it at Geevor:

View map of the site

Related to:

Caradon Mining District

Wendron Mining District

World Heritage Site

The Port of Hayle

Link to Workshops:

Click here

Downloads:

No downloads

Tregonning and Gwinear Mining Districts with Trewavas

Tregonning and Gwinear Mining Districts with Trewavas A3 Wheal Trewavas copyright A Cocks at Conrwall Council

The Tregonning Area is thought to have been the first district to use of gunpowder for blasting in 1689. 

This Area also contains the site of Wheal Vor one of the richest tin mines to have worked in Cornwall and possibly the location of the first Newcomen type atmospheric engine, thought to have been erected around 1710-1713.

As with St Just, coastal mining is also a feature of this Area with the dramatic cliff-edge-located engine houses of Wheal Trewavas and Wheal Prosper being reminiscent of those at the Crowns section of Botallack Mine.The beautiful Trevarno Estate near Helston resulted from the business wealth created by William Bickford following his invention and successful manufacture of the world’s first blasting safety fuse in 1831 .   

 

Photograph reproduced with the kind permission of A Cocks at Cornwall Council

  • View Comments
  • Leave a Comment

No comments yet...why not be the first!

Click 'Leave a Comment' above.

Name: (as you would like it to appear on the website)

Email: (this will not be displayed on the website)

Comments: