The sinking of Victory Shaft began in 1919.
Initially, a wooden headgear was a temporary structure used whilst sinking the shaft. The permanent wooden headgear had been installed by 1924.The building under construction was for the steam powered winding engine. An air compressor was also housed here.
Victory shaft in about 1950
This wooden headgear was a more permanent structure and was erected after shaft sinking was completed. The aerial rope-way was removed after 1944, when all of the ore was hoisted via Victory shaft. In 1954, a new galvanised steel headgear was erected over the old timber headgear. This was designed to haul skips and man-riding cages. The headframe was built around the old wooden frame, which was subsequently dismantled. This minimised disruption to hoisting.
The headgear has four near-vertical riveted steel legs containing the two hoisting compartments and skip tipping equipment. At the top are the twin sheave wheels, above which is a wheel-maintenance gantry. The ladderway shaft compartment on the western side of the shaft also carries the air and water mains, power and telephone cables.
The Victory Sub Incline Extension
In 1974 Geevor began a huge project to extend work at the Victory shaft out beneath the sea. The Victory Shaft Sub-Incline Extension shaft was deepened with ore passes modified and new ore handling facilities installed. The new shaft was sunk at an angle from near the bottom of Victory Shaft, from 15 level in a seaward direction with the first phase to 19 level completed in 1977. The Sub-incline shaft eventually extended out under the sea for half a mile. Ore was transported back to Victory Shaft by conveyor belt.Geevor’s workings reached 2,130 feet (650 metres) below surface.
Photograph reproduced with the kind permission of A Cocks at Cornwall Council, 360 panorama view reproduced with the kind permission of the University of Plymouth