Victory Shaft was the main hoisting shaft at Geevor for miners, materials and rock.
Men and materials were raised and lowered in a 9 man cage while the rock containing tin and other metals was raised to surface in 2 tonne skips.
When Victory Shaft was begun in 1919 a wooden headgear was erected over the position of the shaft and in 1923 a steam-driven winder was used for hoisting purposes.
In 1954, the current galvanised steel headgear was erected over the old timber headgear and a new electric winder was installed. The headgear was built around the old wooden frame, which was subsequently dismantled. The shaft reached its final depth of 480 metres (1575 feet) below the surface in 1975.
Mining Under The Sea
In 1975, the project to sink an inclined shaft from near the bottom of Victory Shaft to access the workings in Levant Mine began – which meant that rock would be mined below the Atlantic Ocean again.
The shaft eventually reached a position of 650 metres (2,130 feet) below surface with ore being transported back to Victory Shaft by conveyor belt.