Find it at Geevor:

View map of the site

Related to:

Sub Station

The Wethered Shaft

Compressor house

Oliver Wethered

Link to Workshops:

Click here

Downloads:

No downloads

Wethered Area

At the top of the site near the main road there are several buildings which played a big part of the working of the early Geevor Tin Mines Ltd.

Former mine power house

Geevor mine made an early decision to use almost exclusively electrical power. A supply was arranged from the Cornwall Electric Power Co at Hayle, and by 1912 there was an electric winder at Wethered Shaft.     A power house had been built near the Victory Shaft in 1919. The power house continued to be used through much of the life of the mine. By 1974, the building was in use as a store and the transformer had been moved to the new building nearby. In 1977 the transformer house was converted into a mineral gallery.

 


  • View Comments
  • Leave a Comment

No comments yet...why not be the first!

Click 'Leave a Comment' above.

Name: (as you would like it to appear on the website)

Email: (this will not be displayed on the website)

Comments: